Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Orange Is The New Black

If Netflix isn’t your style but you’ve heard all the fuss about Orange is the New Black, you’ll be pleased to hear season 1 is coming to DVD and Blu-ray. Orange is the New Black season 1 will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on May 13, according to an announcement made by Lionsgate Home Entertainment. The release will include producer commentary on two episodes, according to a list of special features: - “New Kid on the Cell Block” featurette - “Mother Hen: Red Runs the Coup” featurette - “It’s Tribal” featurette - “Prison Rules” featurette - Episode Commentary “I Wasn’t Ready” with Producers Jenji Kohan, Tara Herrmann and Mark Burley - Episode Commentary “Can’t Fix Crazy” with Producers Jenji Kohan, Tara Herrmann and Mark Burley Orange is the New Black season 1 will also be released in Digital HD one week earlier on May 6. The show follows “engaged Brooklynite Piper Chapman, whose wild past comes back to haunt her and results in her arrest and detention in a federal penitentiary,” according to the official synopsis. “To pay her debt to society, Piper trades her comfortable New York life for an orange prison jumpsuit and finds unexpected conflict and camaraderie amidst an eccentric group of inmates.” News of OITNB season 1′s DVD/Blu-ray availability comes on the heels of an announcement over the weekend that season 2 of the show will premiere on Netflix June 6. AN INTERVIEW WITH DASCHA POLANCE (FROM HUFFINGTON POST.COM) It's not easy being in prison. But it could be fun if you're an actress in Netflix's new original series, Orange is the New Black! Dascha Polanco recently stepped into the entertainment world in NYC and has become one of the favorites in OITNB. Let's find out what makes her tick! HP: What was your audition like for Netflix's Orange is the New Black? Dascha: I had overlooked time and had to make it there from Brooklyn by 12:45pm on a Saturday. I left at 12:06 and made it by 12:32! (Fast and furious). I was wearing scrubs and my hair was wild and curly. It was via video and all I was told was that it was a jail themed series by Jenji Kohan. I had no idea what the storyline entailed. I left there thinking they always say "Great, good job" but did she mean it? Hmm... I placed it in the back burner of my mind and resumed my life. I got a callback the following Saturday. I was attending nursing school and had to shift things around to make the appointment. This time, I was told to play a naive girl. I nailed it! My feedback that time was "That was great! I have to get you in here!" HP: What's it like working on a series for Netflix as opposed to working on Unforgettable which is network TV? Dascha: On Unforgettable I was a guest, so it was just in and out! They were all very courteous, though. It was all very quick. There was craft services [food] outside of set and I was in the honeywagon. I filmed it on October 31 and by mid-November it was on TV. Netflix was my home; I feel like I can take my shoes off and open the fridge. There was craft services, lunch and Friday treats. I had assorted dressing rooms. With such a large cast we would rotate, from half trailers to honeywagons to shared space. The wait to see the end product has been filled with killer anxiety and nail biting galore. HP: Have you seen any of the episodes in full or do you have to wait for Netflix to air them to see them? Dascha: I only saw the pilot. I have learned to watch myself and give myself constructive criticism. Although I have to cover my face and peek sometimes! ! It's really difficult to see yourself and it not be you, but you know that it is you. It's complicated! HP: When you went to the premiere party, you were dolled up by Caravan Stylist Studio. What was that experience like? Dascha: I have a great publicist who took care of all that for me along with Netflix gifting me with an expense budget. I actually am not a challenger but am very daring. I love fashion and am not scared to deviate from the norm. However, my Carmen Marc Valvo dress and shoes Je'taime... I felt so good in it! Valerie Star and Claudine DeSola at Caravan just know what to do to me. HP: Does your contract state you're to be in Season 2 of OITNB? Dascha: My manager handles all that for me. I am unable to disclose any of that information as of yet. HP: What's so special about Miami? Dascha: It was good to me. I did a lot of performing arts and school activities. My family was complete at the time. I lived there during the 'growing up years' -- got my license, made a lot of friends. It was my emancipation. HP: Tell us about Gimme Shelter. Dascha: It was a star struck 24/7. Long hours, very surreal. I mean James Earl Jones was there! It was my first job! I played a bipolar young mid-teen's single mother living in a religious shelter. There were moments that surprised me but it was all a learning experience. HP: What did you do for a living before acting? Dascha: I actually had a job while I was acting and was a nursing student which I had to drop due to my 9-5 job at the time. I managed an instrument room at a hospital in the Bronx. HP: Are you married or do you have a significant other? Dascha: I am engaged to a good-hearted man that supports me and allows me to be me. We met at the Dominican Day parade. HP: What was the best piece of advice you received as a little kid that's stuck with you through adulthood? Dascha: Do whatever you want to persevere, work for your own things and do not depend on anyone to be your provider. That way, in the future, you will be all right regardless of the circumstances. HP: Are you close to your family? Dascha: Not really. I lost my mother and things changed from there. Family can be a tricky one sometimes, but I have an amazing fiance and three great kids. HP: How far did you get in school and what were your favorite subjects? Dascha: I have a bachelor's degree in psychology. My favorite subjects were organic chemistry, forensic psychology, theatre and film class and drawing. I was interested in being the chemist that works in the fragrance world, smelling all the perfume ingredients. I am obsessed with perfumes and I think I have a great nose for that. HP: What's your every day wardrobe when you're not working? Dascha: I am a moody girl. I love to dress with accessories. I'm happy in sneakers and happy in heels. HP: Anything else you'd like to add Dascha: I am not currently involved in any charities, but it's something that I will be focusing on this year! My soul enjoys helping and I love to give back. 8 FACTS ABOUT MATT McGORRY (FROM YAHOO TV) Is orange really the new black? According to the hit Netflix show's supercute corrections officer, John Bennett, aka actor Matt McGorry, the answer is yes. "Orange is definitely the new black," McGorry said in an exclusive interview with Yahoo! TV. McGorry, who has received rave reviews from critics for his role as a lovesick prison guard who falls for an inmate, says he never expected people to respond so well to his character in the first season. But we can't help but feel for the adorable Officer Bennett and his case of puppy love. Before the show picks up its 13-episode sophomore season in 2014, it's time to get to know the real guy behind the sweetest C.O. at Litchfield Federal Prison . Fact #1: He Had a Magical Start in the Biz "I started performing when I was 9 or 10, doing magic. One of the wonderful things about growing up in New York City is that one of the best magic stores in the country happens to be in the neighborhood. I spent a lot of time there just hanging out at the magic shop. I started performing at birthday parties, and I went to a magic camp. I was the youngest member of the New York International Brotherhood of Magicians. It was me and a bunch of 60-year-old Jewish men." Fact #2: He Can't Get Behind the Wheel "I grew up in Chelsea on 22nd Street ... I am really a native New Yorker. Even to the point that I still don't know how to drive." Fact #3: He Won the Science Fair in Eighth Grade ... and Nabbed a Unique Prize "When I was in eighth grade, I won the science fair and my parents asked me if I wanted the gift of a personal trainer for sports. I was never particularly into sports, so I decided to kind of give it a try. I didn't like it." Fact #4: His Pre-Big-Break Job? Personally Training Models "The place that I worked, we did have Victoria's Secret models. The girls that I have trained, who have been models at a high level, and some actors, are the cream of the crop." Fact #5: If He Had to Create His Own Prison Workout... "Luckily for me, and for Bennett as a corrections officer, he has access to a gym. In the Litchfield world, it would probably include calisthenics, which are pushups, pull-ups, all that fun stuff. My workout now is usually three to four days a week of body resistance training and lifting, two to three days a week of cardio training, and one or two higher-intensity days followed by some lower-intensive work." Fact #6: His Guilty-Pleasure Snack Is Ice Cream "I am all about the complicated ice cream. Ben & Jerry's is my go-to. I like as many things in there as possible. Or I like the newer kind of frozen yogurt with basically Halloween candy mixed in." Fact #7: Bennett Is Like His Teenage Self "I like to think of Bennett as me in my mid- to early teenage years in terms of how unjaded he is. I come from a family where both my parents have such extreme empathy. I feel like that has kind of carried over to me, too. Part of playing Bennett has been getting in touch with those things, and what it's like to meet someone that you feel so strongly about that essentially you end up falling in love with them without any preconceived notions." Fact #8: He Gets Twitter Proposals "The response to the show has been overwhelmingly positive. I feel very lucky that people are responding well to my character and to me. It has been very fun getting the Twitter marriage proposals and love."

No comments:

Post a Comment