Thursday, October 8, 2020

The Hand That Feeds You

<a class="spreaker-player" href="https://www.spreaker.com/episode/41361794" data-resource="episode_id=41361794" data-width="100%" data-height="200px" data-theme="light" data-playlist="false" data-playlist-continuous="false" data-autoplay="false" data-live-autoplay="false" data-chapters-image="true" data-episode-image-position="right" data-hide-logo="false" data-hide-likes="false" data-hide-comments="false" data-hide-sharing="false" data-hide-download="true">Listen to "The Hand That Feeds You" on Spreaker.</a><script async src="https://widget.spreaker.com/widgets.js"></script> 


October 8, 2020

Well here we are!  Eight days into the tenth month.  The morning after the VP debate.  How ya feeling?  Are your shoes tied?  Did you remember to floss your teeth this morning?  5:35 this morning I was there!  Sitting in my writing chair.  Just like I’ve done for the past twenty six years.  Openly I admit that words don’t come to me.  They move through me.  Which means what to a non-writer?  People always ask me how I do what I do.  I can never answer them.  Cuz I don’t know how I do what I do.  I just show up!  Writing is one of my do’s.  And for the past seven to eight months what I write has upset a lot of people.  That’s what we’re talking about on this podcast episode.  When our awareness and words bang into another moving vehicle and there’s no guarantee you’ll still be family or friends.  Putting anything on social media is nothing more than an invitation to get crushed.  I’m blessed to have the opportunity to talk with a lot of people of fame and those trying to gain it.  I’m a broadcaster of forty one years!  It’s in my blood to want to talk!  When I get that moment with someone that others don’t agree with.  They act as if it’s the end of the world.  Awareness is my guiding light.  A preacher once said to me “I will always take the time to talk with an atheist.  Not because I want to change them.  I just want to know what the other team is up to.”  We all agree that 2020 sucks!  I’ve gone through gallons of Lysol and Odor Eaters to try to sweeten the air we breathe but it just doesn’t work!  I don’t mean to rough up the edges of the pretty picture but if the evidence left at the crime scene requires a physical act of accountability it needs attention. This is probably why I have very few friends.  I chuckle about that.  Mainly because I’m usually the one making the mistakes and I openly admit my faults.  My mother drove a single thought through my thick skull “In everything you do there are others living it as well.”  So here we are!  The eighth day of the tenth month during the year that is 2020.  Did you ever get that annual physical at the doctor?  I’m trying to get there!  What if the highly educated fixer upper guy or girl is carrying the Covid-19?  How ya feeling about these huge corporations closing their doors?  Quitters!  Not leaders.  Quitters.  That movie theater chain that told 46,000 of their employees that it’s over is getting away with being an acceptable quitter.  Did movie theater goers quit them during a bad Hollywood year? Nope.  Did movie fans refuse to buy popcorn and a drink while accepting another bank loan to pay for it?  Nope.  Did those who like watching moving pictures on a big screen scream about how messy the theater was and did nothing about it?  Nope.  Why then did the movie theater chain walk out on those who have always supported them?  This is every bit the reason why we’ve chosen to watch movies at home.  You know who is leading?  That damn Walmart.  They deliver to my house now.  They could’ve quit!  Amazon is the king of the kingdom.  Walmart is taking them on.  So is Home Depot and Lowes.  In an age of excuses and laziness now is not the time to hang up your daily dreams and ambitions.  My dad would say “Figure it out.  Just don’t stop.”  How much money does the CEO and other decision makers at the major league movie theater company get for quitting?  I ask this because the employees have run out of unemployment benefits and the fans of movies on the big screen might not have enough cash to hand over to Netflix, Hulu and Disney.  It’s a daily mess.  Wipe the cow manure off your shoes and let’s get across this hot desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment